Discover the Eiffel Tower and Paris in high definition through an exclusive 360° virtual tour | Découvrez la tour Eiffel et Paris en haute définition avec une visite guidée 360° exclusive.
Aligning with Ecole Militaire, Champ de Mars and the Eiffel Tower on the left bank, the Iéna Bridge connects to the right bank at the Trocadero forming one of Paris' most impressive perspectives. In commemoration of the Battle of Jena and victory over the Prussians in 1806, Napoleon commissioned the bridge in 1809, officially opening four years later. The Iéna Bridge was already there when the Eiffel Tower opened in 1889 and was also there for the crowds of three Universal Expos: 1889, 1900 & 1937.
Musée de l'Homme
Created for the Universal Expo of 1937, this museum of man is devoted to palaeontology, ethnology and anthropology. Permanent and temporary exhibits mix aesthetics, art and science producing such exhibits as the fresco of photographs in "All of Mankind is of the Same Species". The museum is presently undergoing a 5-year plan of renovation.
Palais de Chaillot & The Trocadero Gardens
Built over the foundation of a previous palace (Palais du Trocadero) for the 1937 World Exhibition of Arts and Techniques, the neo-classic Palais de Chaillot forms a perspective of monuments with the Eiffel Tower, Champ de Mars and Ecole Military. Its two wings form a semi-circle around the Human Rights gardens flowing down to the Seine. The Palais houses a theatre and two museums: Musée de l'Homme and the Navy Museum.
The Trocadero Gardens are framed by the two wings of Palais de Chaillot and offer a splendid view of the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars. Originally drawn up for the Universal Expo of 1900, the garden was positioned in front of a palace that was later destroyed and replaced by the Palais de Chaillot in 1937. It is a site that not only draws in tourist busloads but also is a coveted spot for Paris' skaters to practice.
Banks of the Seine
The banks of the Seine offer such a splendid view of the city's most famous monuments stretching along the waterfront for 15 kilometers, it's no wonder that they have been classified a World Heritage by UNESCO. Little by little, the Parisian promenades have expanded and ousted the industrial factories and warehouses. On Sundays from March to November, the streets are closed except to skaters, cyclists, walkers, baby carriages.in between the Iena Bridge (right bank) and the Quai Anatole France (left bank).
At an elevation of 162 meters, Mount Valerien reigns over the capital along with the Eiffel Tower, the Montparnasse Tower and the skyscrapers at La Defense. Its historical richness stems from the site's early religious connotations as a sacred mountain and later as a military fortress. Its altitude made it an ideal position for telegraph transmissions and pigeon carriers, maintained today by the 8th Regiment. During WWII, it was occupied by the Germans.
La Defense and Grand Arch
The arrival of Paris' business district, called La Defense, marked the capital's entrance into the 20th century with a conglomeration of skyscrapers in the cityscape to the West. Its falls into the alignment that begins at the Louvre, continues through the Tuileries, Concorde, Champs Elysées, Arc de Triomphe and on to the Grand Arch. This business center is only accessible on foot as cars drive around it and park underneath. The rooftop of the Grand Arch offers a lovely view of western Paris.
The Guimet Museum is named for Emile Guimet (1836-1919), an industrialist who travelled extensively and was an Asian art connoisseur. Inaugurated in 1889, the museum houses Guimet's collection contributing to one of the most exceptional European collections of Asian art objects under one roof. In 2001 following renovations, the magnificent transformations were unveiled, along with the new layout of the galleries.
Arc de Triomphe
At the height of his glory after the battle of Austerlitz, Napoleon Bonaparte built this victory arch in 1806 in celebration of the imperial army. When the grandeur of the Empire was toppled, the construction went unfinished until 1836, completed under the reign of Louis-Philippe. A popular location for patriotic events and home to an unknown soldier and the flame ignited in memorial, the arch offers a spectacular rooftop view of the monuments in-line from the Grand Arch at La Defense to the Louvre.
The renowned Champs Elysées stretches between the obelisk in the Place de la Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe, and is part of the perspective aligning the Pyramid at the Louvre to the Grand Arch at La Defense. Symbolically an avenue of luxury, the Champs Elysées is often where national events and celebrations unfold. General De Gaulle triumphantly marched down it when Paris was liberated in August 1944.
This Italian renaissance palace built for the Duchess of Galliera in 1894 is today home to Paris' fashion museum (Musée de la Mode de la Ville de Paris) boasting some 70,000 items in its fashion and costume collections. The palace is composed of a central pavilion flanked by two porticos. The museum also houses a library devoted to the history of western fashion.
Palais de Tokyo
Replacing a Savonnerie tapestry factory, the Palais de Tokyo was constructed for the 1937 World Exhibition and today houses the Modern Art Museum of Paris. Its 20th century works feature the Cubist and Fauvism schools along side large-scale temporary exhibits that propose some of the most contemporary and experimental works of the moment.
This metal footbridge is located between the bridges Seine and Iéna and is listed on the registry of historical monuments since 1966. It was built to handle foot traffic between the two river banks during the Universal Expo of 1900, providing direct access between the Army and Navy Halls. Recently renovated, today's visitors use the bridge to get from the Eiffel Tower to the Modern Art Museum at the Palais de Tokyo.
Stade de France
In 1998, the French soccer team won the World Cup in this newly opened stadium. Designed by architects Macary-Zublena and Costantini-Regembal, the Stade de France is 42 meters high with 18 supporting stairway cages and a suspended roof covering the 80,000 spectator capacity, making it the largest open-air stadium in France.
Created in 1855 to celebrate victory against the Russian army in Crimea, the bridge was originally constructed in stone and decorated with statues, the most famous being the Zouave - indicator to Parisians when the Seine River swells. The original bridge began to settle, hindering boat traffic and was replaced in 1974 by a metallic version with only one concrete pile. The Zouave resumed his place but the other statues were dispersed to various locations in France.
Sacred-Heart Basilica of Montmartre
Following the Franco-Prussian War, the construction of a basilica began in 1875 up on Montmartre Hill overlooking Paris. The domes and towers exemplary of its Romano-Byzantine style and the Chateau-Landon stone, which bleaches with age, make it the most prominent monument of the northern cityscape. The Basilique du Sacré-Cour is a place of pilgrimage where the Sacred Heart of Christ has been venerated since its consecration in 1919. The main dome offers a splendid panoramic vista of Paris.
Palais de l'Elysée
The president of the republic lives in the Palais de l'Elysée, complete with an enormous private garden in the backyard. The first president to occupy the quarters was Louis-Napoleon in 1848, who moved in the day after his election. Built in 1718 for the Count of Evreux, it then became the possession of the Marquis de Pompadour, and then Louis XV and so on and so on.
One of the many buildings in Paris that was erected for the Universal Expo of 1900, the Petit Palais creates an ensemble of Art Nouveau style architecture with the adjacent Grand Palais and the Alexandre III Bridge. At present undergoing refurbishing, its museum houses the city's Beaux Arts collections as well as the Middle Ages and Renaissance decorative art collections.
Opened for the Universal Expo of 1900, the Grand Palais - classified a historical monument in 2000 - and the Petit Palais across the street continue the perspective of the Invalides Esplanade and the Alexandre III Bridge over to the right bank. Under renovation for several years, the Palais' spectacular glass dome was desperately in need of refurbishing. The palace's National Galleries continue to offer temporary exhibitions of an ambitious nature.
Madeleine is the name by which Parisians identify the church of Saint Mary Magdalene. Although construction began in 1764, the project was revised several times before the church was actually consecrated in 1842. The original architectural plans called for a classic domed church; later in time it was set to become an imitation Pantheon but the Revolution put an end to that. Emperor Napoleon announced the construction of a Greek temple in honor of the Great Army, which is the church still standing today.
The Cité of Science and Industry
A paradise for kids and curious adults alike, La Cité des Sciences opened its doors in 1986 to an immediate popularity, much like the Georges Pompidou Center when it first opened. Five floors and themed exhibits such as Explora: an interactive exhibit taking the visitor on a discovery of the natural universe of our planet with lots of hands-on experiences. Another feature is the Geode dome housing an Omnimax theatre and a planetarium.
Opera Garnier was built on the orders of Napoleon III as part of the Haussmann project and was inaugurated in 1875. Some of the world's greatest dancers have performed on its stage, notably the Paris Ballet "Etoiles". The marble hallways and double stairway are among the most famous features of this building, not forgetting the ceiling fresco by Marc Chagall. The Library-Museum holds a wealth of archives on dance in France and three centuries of history on the Opera's past.
The Invalides Bridge has not had an easy existence from the beginning. The first suspended bridge never opened to the public in 1826 as planned; it was so unstable, it was demolished. A new version went up in 1856 but was seriously damaged by a particularly icy winter, and was largely restored in 1880. Since then it has stood the test of time, only widened in 1956.
La Villette Park
La Villette gardens and buildings are spread out over more than 135 acres, replacing the city's slaughterhouses that occupied the land during the century before. Park construction began in 1980 and was completed 20 years later. The development followed 3 main themes: music - a conservatory, museum, concert hall and other venues; science and industry - La Cité of Science & Industry and the Geode; and thirdly an urban cultural park including many original gardens - bamboo, shadows, fears, balance.and red folies.
Alexandre III Bridge
Part of the works built for the Universal Expo of 1900, the Alexandre III Bridge was named after the last tsar of Russia before the revolution, father of Nicolas II. The latter had attended the first stone laid on the bridge's construction - in the company of President Felix Faure. Its metallic structure was a genuine feat in technical design with one single arch curving over the Seine to the other shore, low enough so as not to obstruct the view, high enough so not to impede boat traffic.
The Concorde obelisk was a gift to France from the Viceroy of Egypt in 1829. The 3,300-year old monument once decorated the Luxor Temple. Erected in Paris in 1836, it is covered in hieroglyphics and weighs 220 tons.
The Palais Royal was built in 1629 for the Cardinal de Richelieu and was first named the Cardinal's Palace; until on his death bed, he gave it to King Louis XIII in 1642. The Cardinal's sumptuous tastes are reflected in the elegance of this Royal Palace and its rectangular garden framed by galleries to three sides. At the southern end, the black and white columns installed by creator Daniel Buren add a more modern touch to a site charged with historical anecdotes.
Comédie Française Theatre
Founded in 1680 by Louis XIV, the illustrious French theatre company called the Comédie Française became the national theatre it is today in 1799 after the Revolution. It is among the most beautiful Parisian theatres and home to both classic and modern French stage productions. Moliere is as always revered; his troupe was the first to perform in the capital as the Comédie Française theatre company under Louis XIV.
Père Lachaise Cemetery
The most famous cemetery in Paris, Père Lachaise opened in 1804 on the spot of a Jesuit retreat frequently visited by Father La Chaise, Louis XIV's confessor. The oldest section of the cemetery near the main entrance was classified a historical monument in 1962. Two million visitors each year stroll amongst the 70,000 tombs in discovery of the many artists, scientists, politicians and writers buried there, such as Moliere and Jean de La Fontaine.
Located between the Louvre and the Concorde, stretching out along side the Seine, the Tuileries Gardens were created in 1564 by Queen Catherine de Medicis. At the hands of gardener André Le Nôtre in 1664, the gardens were tailored and embellished to perfection, creating a classic model. During the 19th century, the Tuileries drew a constant parade of Parisian elegance. Since 2002, a walkway exists from the Tuileries over to the left bank and Orsay Museum.
Since 2002 a footbridge connects the Louvre and Tuileries to Orsay Museum, which was inaugurated in 1986 after the refurbishing of the old Orleans train station. The 19th century metal and stone structure is home to art collections from the same period, uniting some of the most "academic" sculptures and paintings as well as photographs, notably an impressive collection of the impressionist painters' work.
Hotel de Ville
Commissioned by François I in 1533, the neo-renaissance Hotel de Ville was erected on the Place de la Grève, a meeting place for the unemployed in the Middle Ages and later the site of capital punishment executions. The Parisians burned it to the ground in 1871 during the Federalist insurrections. The identical building was built again and inaugurated in 1882. It is today the home of the municipal government and prestigious receptions and city affairs.
Louvre & Louvre Pyramid
Long before the Louvre became a famous art museum, back in the year 1200, the construction of a medieval fortress (at the location of the Cour Carré) along the banks of the Seine was ordered by King Philippe-Auguste. For many centuries, the Louvre was the palace of the kings of France and each generation added on to the original structure. The French Republic declared it a museum in 1793 and the last addition - the pyramid - was one of the major public works commissioned by President Mitterrand.
The work of architect Ieoh Ming Pei, the glass pyramid has become the main entrance into the Louvre Museum and one of three major public works that came to be during François Mitterrand's presidency, along with the Grand Arch and the French National Library at Tolbiac. Built in the center of Napoleon's courtyard across from the entrance to the Tuileries gardens, the pyramid was fashioned after the Great Pyramid at Gizeh. This addition has improved immensely accessibility to the Louvre and to the exhibits once inside the museum.
The Pompidou Center
Renzo Piano, Richard Rogers and Gianfranco Francini designed the Centre Georges Pompidou, which opened in 1977. Despite the ensuing scandals, the Center (called "Beaubourg") became an instant success with its open exhibition areas and colored pipes on the outside of the building. More than 5 million visitors pass through each year taking in the art collections, or just simply walking around. The 3 floors are accessible via outside escalators providing a bird's eye view of the city as you go up.
Bastille's July Column
Holding up the gold-leaf figure of Liberty at the Place de la Bastille, the Colonne de juillet (July Column, also known as Colonne de la Bastille) was fashioned after the Trajan Column in Rome and erected in memory of those who died in the insurrection of July 1830. It is what symbolically remains of the famous French Revolution, even if the column had no veritable relation with the Bastille prison. Today's Place de la Bastille is the privileged site of many political and social demonstrations.
Sainte Chapelle Church
King Louis IX ordered the construction of the Sainte Chapelle (1242-1248) to shelter his newly acquired relics from Sainte Croix and Couronne d'Epine. The spire rises 75m (246ft) into the sky passing through the Palais de Justice. This church is considered a gothic marvel, especially the upper level and the stained-glass windows (recently restored) 15m (50ft) high each, considered the oldest in Paris dating back to the 13th century.
Hotel des Invalides
Easy to identify with its shiny gold dome, the Hotel des Invalides is none other than the royal chapel built by Jules Ardouin-Mansart in 1706 and the burial tomb site of Napoleon since 1840. The Invalides was originally constructed at the request of Louis XIV as a hospice for old or invalid soldiers. Today it houses five museums: Army Museum, Museum of Relief Maps and Plans, Museum of the Order of Liberation and the Museum of Contemporary History, and since 2008 the Historial Charles de Gaulle.
Saint Sulpice Church
Rebuilt several times over a period of 134 years, from 1646 to 1778, the Saint Sulpice Church was just a small parish church in the 6th century. The painter Eugène Delacroix fought against the humidity during ten years in order to complete his fresco depicting Jacob's struggle with an angel, viewable in the first chapel on the right.
Notre Dame Cathedral
Construction began in the 12th century (1163-1345) on the southern tip of Ile de la Cité. Considered the heart of Paris and France (0km marker for road distance calculations), this gothic structure with its twin towers linked together by the carved arches of the great gallery impresses the onlooker with its majestic size and imposing stature. It was built upon the ruins of its predecessors: a Gallo-Roman temple dedicated to Jupiter, a Christian basilica and a Roman church.
Saint Germain des Prés Church
Built in 543 by Childebert, Clovis' son, the Saint Germain Church is home to the tombs of numerous Merovingian kings and stands on a domain that once incorporated more than 74,000 acres. Destroyed by the Normans, the abbey was reconstructed in a Roman style and again completely redone in the 19th century. Little remains of the 10th century structure, notably the original porch - one of the oldest in France -hidden by an outer door. The Abbatial Palace (1586) is visible from the rue de l'Abbaye.
Bois de Vincennes
After the development of the Bois de Boulogne, Napoleon III decided to landscape the Bois de Vincennes, and in 1860 it became part of the 12th district attached to eastern Paris. Vincennes like Boulogne was woodland transformed into a landscaped park, preserving clusters of tall trees and wide paths. It is also home to a racetrack, as well as a floral park, zoo, sporting fields, the Museum of African and Oceanic Art and the unexpected Buddhist and Tibetan temples.
Created in 1257 for a group of theology students by Robert de Sorbon (King Saint Louis' chaplain), La Sorbonne is the symbol of French studies, the Latin Quarters, and the 1968 student revolt movements. University of Paris, branch IV, La Sorbonne maintains its reputation of prestige and offers studies on literature, philosophy, history, art and communication. Partially open to the public, visitors can admire the tomb of Cardinal de Richelieu buried in the building's chapel.
In the heart of Paris, the Luxembourg Gardens were created by Queen Marie de Medicis at the start of the 17th century, re-landscaped again in the 19th century. Opened to the public by Louis the 18th, this typical Parisian garden was in step with the Tuileries classic garden model. From the very French flower beds to the more "natural" English garden sections, Luxembourg is delightful for a stroll, and not to miss, the Medicis Fountain and sculptures.
A former church, which added an immense dome in 1754 designed by Germain Soufflot and commissioned by Louis XV, the Pantheon is one of the major patriotic monuments in Paris. Since 1885 when Victor Hugo's funeral procession carried him to this burial spot, it has become the prestigious tomb of the most distinguished women and men of France, those whose works and spirit raised the Republic and honored humanity: Emile Zola, Marie Curie, Jean Moulin.and more recently, Alexandre Dumas.
Jardin des Plantes
Created in 1635 by Louis XIII, the Jardin des Plantes was devoted to medicinal plants and natural history, reaching full expansion during the curatorship of Georges Buffon from 1739 - 1788, with flower beds and greenhouses of rare plant collections. Today the institute is in contact with more than eight hundred corresponding members all over the world. The Natural History Museum was another of Buffon's ambitions, housing a spectacular Hall of Evolution among the many animal and mineral collections.
The Sénat is housed in the Luxembourg palace, and along with the Assemblée Nationale make up the French Parliament. The renaissance-style Palais de Luxembourg was under construction from 1615 to 1627 in the heart of an enormous garden, and was built for Marie de Médicis. Close by is the Luxembourg Museum and its temporary exhibits.
French National Library (BnF)
The François Mitterrand - Tolbiac Library is the latest addition to the Bibliothèque Nationale de France (BnF). One of Pres. Mitterrand's major public works - along with the Grand Arch and the Pyramid - this new BnF designed by Dominique Perrault is based on a hollow rectangular block with 4 towers in the shape of an open book at each corner. The reading rooms occupy two floors overlooking a two-acre inner garden. Partially open to the public, library entrances are accessed on the Seine side.
The Montparnasse Tower soared over the Paris skyline in 1973 with its 210-meter height. Its panoramic patio vista from the rooftop is open to the public and offers an exceptional view of the Saint Germain des Pres neighborhood below. The tower and newly remodelled train station replace the 19th century station, making it a very contemporary spot in the capital today.
Construction of the Ecole Militaire (French Military Academy) began in 1751. It was designated as the Royal Military Academy where young gentlemen would be trained as accomplished officers under the reign of Louis XV. Napoleon also trained there for a year. The military tradition continues to be passed down through the Academy's program today, not open to the public for visit. Its 18th century façade looks out over the Champ de Mars, once the drill grounds of the academy.
Champ de Mars
Named for the Roman god of war, the Champ de Mars is located in front of the Ecole Militaire (Military Academy), and served as their drill field. During the French Revolution (1789 - 1799) it was decided to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of the taking of the Bastille there. A year later an overly excited crowd cheering for the deposition of the king was massacred there. At the end of the 18th century, it became a racetrack and today's park is the site of occasional celebrations.
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was founded in 1945 with the objective of promoting international cooperation among its now 190 member states and 6 associate members. Its Parisian headquarters were inaugurated in 1958, with the main building shaped in a Y, noted for its innovative use of modern materials such as plasticized concrete.
The Observatory of Meudon is one of three sites - along with Nançay and Paris - working in collaboration with the national research institute CNRS. Together they represent one third of the astronomy activity in France. Meudon houses four laboratories used by the educational program of the University of Paris 7 at Jussieu. It was astronomer Jules Janssen who brought the institute to the Meudon 18th century castle in 1876; it was already equipped with an 18-meter observation dome plus three smaller ones.
Andre Citroen Park
Opened in 1992, this park is spread over 32 acres along the western banks of the Seine, on the past site of Mr Javel's chemical factory (bleach in France is still referred to as "eau de Javel"), and the Citroen car factory. This "futuristic park" landscaped by Gilles Clément & Alain Provost is exemplary of the latest in contemporary gardens: distinctly different sections and plant & flower varieties for a mix of color and form, greenhouses, a sculptured rock garden for the kids.
Hippodrome de Longchamp
Located on the western edge of the Bois de Boulogne along the Seine, the Hippodrome de Longchamp racetrack specializes in flat racing and boasts an international prestige as one of the leading race courses in the world. Its prize race, called the Arc de Triomphe, is a major event drawing crowds of more than 30,000 and millions of TV viewers.
Bois de Boulogne
Where once stood the enormous forest of Rouvray, the Bois de Boulogne now spreads over 2,000 acres, incorporated into the 16th district. Boasting some 4,000 trees (maple and pine mostly), it was transformed into a park between 1852 and 1855, including two lakes connected by a waterfall. Other attractions include the Bagatelle rose garden, a tropical greenhouse, a children's amusement park and two racetracks - Hippodrome de Longchamp and d'Auteuil.
Parc des Princes Stadium
With almost 50,000 seats, the Parc des Princes still has many moments of glory to come, despite the latest stadium addition in the northern outskirts of Paris - Stade de France. Not only welcoming European soccer and rugby matches, the stadium regularly books concerts and shows. Reconstructed completely following the designs of Roger Taillibert, today's oval stadium was inaugurated in 1972, is home to the Paris -Saint Germain soccer team.
Under the Mirabeau Bridge the Seine goes by.and so do our loves," begins the famous poem from Guillaume Apollinaire. This steel bridge was engineered by Résa, also responsible for the Alexandre III and Debilly bridges. Adorned with statues, the Mirabeau connects the port of Javel and the Place de Barcelone.
The Hippodrome d'Auteuil racetrack is located on the outskirts of the Bois de Boulogne, included from the beginning in the landscaping park project of Napoleon III. The racetrack is reserved for show jumping competitions. It is one of three major racetracks in the city, along with Longchamp & Vincennes.
Front of the Seine
The Quai de Grenelle denotes the left bank of the Seine between the bridges Grenelle (to the east) and Bir-Hakeim (to the west). A walkway along the Seine built over the Invalides-Versailles tracks is one of the features of this newer neighbourhood called "front de Seine", which is composed of numerous modern and luxurious buildings raised since the 60s.
Allee des Cygnes Islet + Statue of Liberty
Allee des Cygnes (Alley of Swans) is a narrow islet in the middle of the Seine River connected to the shore by the bridges Grenelle and Bir-Hakeim. Created in 1825, it was intended to serve as a harbour wall for the Grenelle port. It was given the same name as an island situated further upstream that once was home to the swans settled on it by Louis XIV. At the western tip, a smaller-scale model of the Statue of Liberty was installed in 1885.
A smaller scale model of the Statue of Liberty was offered to Paris by the city's American residents in 1885 and placed at the western tip of the isle Allée des Cygnes. Facing West in the direction of the full-scale model in New York, this replica was also the work of Auguste Bartholdi and Gustave Eiffel, inaugurated at the Universal Expo of 1889.
Headquarters of Radio-France
Headquarters of France's public radio and television services, the Radio-France building faces the Seine. Built between 1952 and 1963 according to the blueprints of Henry Bernard, the circular structure measuring 500 meters in diameter and 39 meters high is dominated by a central rectangular tower 68 meters high. Visitors can take a tour of the building and its History of Radio and Television Museum, as well as participate in a public broadcast or attend a concert.
The Bir-Hakeim Bridge - called the Passy Viaduct up until 1949 - was renamed in commemoration of General Koenig's victory in June 1942 against Rommel in Libya. Transformed from a footbridge at the turn of the century, this 3-level metallic and cast iron bridge has a 237-meter long span and accommodates train, car and foot traffic.
Musee du Quai Branly
Situated close to the Eiffel Tower the Musée du Quai Branly is dedicated
to the arts of Africa, Oceania, Asia and the Americas. Architect Jean Nouvel designed the Musée and the building with its silk-screened glass wall extends over 39,000 sqm. It also boasts a lush exterior garden designed and planted by Gilles Clément and Patrick Blanc. This luxuriant garden is planted with 178 trees including rambler rose, sugar maple, wisteria and magnolia, while more than 15,000 plants of 150 species cover a vertical surface of 800 sqm.
Musée de la Marine
The Musée de la Marine located in the Palais de Chaillot at Trocadéro is
devoted to everything seafaring and is the oldest museum of it’s kind in
the world. It specialises in the maritime history of France and traces its progression through the centuries with permanent and temporaryexhibits. The Musée de la Marine holds the most important collection of model ships, gunboats and artifacts beginning from the 17th century in the world.
Cité de l’Architecture
Over three galleries the Cité de l’Architecture offers an overview of French architecture and heritage from the Middle Ages to the present day. The displays illustrate the varied developments in French architecture throughout the centuries from abbeys and cathedrals to private mansions. The mouldings gallery displays civil and religious architecture; the gallery of modern and contemporary architecture is
devoted to developments since the industrial revolution, and the gallery of wall paintings and stained glass windows exhibits tracings of frescos from the 11th to the 16th century.