For the Universal Exhibition of 1889, four majestic wooden pavilions designed by Stephen Sauvestre decked the platform on the first floor. Each restaurant could seat 500 people.
For the Universal Exhibition of 1889, four majestic wooden pavilions designed by Stephen Sauvestre decked the platform on the first floor. Each restaurant could seat 500 people. The kitchens were attached to the underside of the platform and, until 1900, the restaurants relied on gas lights.
These four establishments were demolished for the International Exhibition of 1937, which led to a complete overhaul of the Tower's first floor. Only two restaurants were then rebuilt, one where the Russian restaurant had been, and the other where the Dutch one had. The architect Auguste Granet, who was married to the granddaughter of Gustave Eiffel, headed the 1930s-style construction.
In the early 1980s, these restaurants were replaced when the Tower underwent major renovations. The brand-new "La Belle France" and "Le Parisien" became the two not-to-be-missed gourmet restaurants on the Eiffel Tower. In 1996, “La Belle France” and “Le Parisien” were transformed into one huge brasserie. Decorated by Slavik and Loup, with a hot air balloon inspired theme, its structure emphasized the view of Paris. It was named the “Altitude 95,” a winking reference to aerial navigation, owing to its location 95 metres above sea level.
After a complete refurbishment at the end of 2008, the establishment was reopened to the public in early 2009: the “58 TOUR EIFFEL” welcomed its first customers. During the day, it’s picnic chic in the Parisian sky! And in the evening, a one on one romantic dinner with the City of Light. Refined dishes, an intimate atmosphere, an outstanding decor and a warm welcome: all the ingredients you need for a restaurant that lives up to your every expectation!
In the autumn 2018, the French Chef Thierry Marx took the helm of the brasserie to transform it progressively. The restaurant is currently being renovated and refurbished. Prepare for an exceptional new brasserie in 2021!
By 1983, the construction of the Jules Verne restaurant on the second floor was finished, an homage to the famous novelist and spokesperson for literary, scientific, and industrial progress. Customers enjoy privileged access via the South pillar elevator, reserved exclusively for use by the restaurant.
The restaurant earned Michelin-Stars with its successive Chefs, Alain Reix, and Alain Ducasse. Since October 1st, 2018, Triple Michelin-starred chef Frédéric Anton has taken the helm of this legendary restaurant where the view is always unique, both day and night. After some significant renovation et refurbishment works, the mythical spot reopened to the public in summer 2019. It has already become, since then, a "must see and taste" spot in the gastronomic Paris.